Mineralisation was first discovered at Iron blow at Mount Lyell in
1883. At that time the deposit was regarded as gold project. The
Mount Lyell Mining Company Limited (MLMC) was founded
in 1883 and full scale production commenced in 1896.
In 1995, the
company was re-named as Copper Mines of Tasmania Pty Ltd and in
1998 it went into administration. This mine was acquired in 1999
by Monte Cello BV, which became a subsidiary of Sterlite Industries
(India) Limited, in 2000 when it was acquired by Sterlite to supply part of its copper concentrate requirement
for its smelter.
Since its acquisition, this mine has continued to grow and the
mine production of copper ore increased from 2.0 million tonnes
per annum to 2.6 million tonnes per annum. CMT produces one of the
cleanest copper concentrate to meet world-class standards.
CMT is one of Tasmania's major mining operations and exports 100%
of its copper concentrates production to Sterlite's
copper smelter in Tuticorin, India.